2012 – 2014 Campaigner and Media Officer, Practical Action. As a Campaigner I completed 2 European Commission (EC) projects on climate change in Bangladesh and energy in sub Saharan Africa. Each project had 4 European partners and a budget of 1 million Euros. Highlights included leading a tour of energy projects in Kenya for EC cabinet member Irchad Razaaly and meeting the Prime Minister and Betty Maina, both members of the UN High Level Panel on the post 2015 Sustainable Development Goals. As Media Officer I liased with Practical Actions 12 offices in Africa, Latin America and Asia to proactively generate media coverage. Highlights included getting BBC News to cover a new cook stove in Nepal and the Guardian newspaper to cover droughts in Kenya and women trading carbon credits in Sudan.
2006 – 2011 Expert Adviser, Commission for Rural Communities. As an expert advisor at the Commission for Rural Communities I campaigned on ending rural poverty and managed a senior stakeholder event programme called ‘The Rural Experience’. Over 90 executives from government, business and the voluntary sector took part in the programme. From 2006 – 2008 I was head of communications and responsible for launching the commission including its website, brand guidelines, print and publications, internal communications and media.
2002 – 2005 Director of Marketing and Communications, Ramblers. As Director of Marketing and Communications at the Ramblers I was responsible for coordinating the roll out of the right to roam across England and Wales from 2002 to 2005. At the time the right to roam was highly controversial within the farming and landowning community and some newspapers, notably the Daily Telegraph, were actively campaigning against it. Read more.
2000 – 2002 Head of Campaigns, Commission for Racial Equality. I was Head of Campaigns at the Commission for Racial Equality during the race riots in northern towns in 2001. This resulted in severe rioting in several towns which dominated the news headlines for many days and was considered privately by the senior management team to be a direct threat to race relations in Britain. Read more.
1997 – 2000 Campaigner, Greenpeace. As a Climate Change Campaigner working for Greenpeace in 1997 I was on a ship the ‘MV Greenpeace’ taking action in the Atlantic Frontier, west of Shetland to stop BP drilling for new oil. We had occupied a mobile drilling rig called the Stena Dee for a week when we were served with a writ by BP who sued Greenpeace for £1.4 million in damages and impounded our vessel in the Court of Session (the supreme civil court in Edinburgh). Read more.
Subscribe to my blog
- 21 years since #Rwandan genocide. RIP Nadia Chanelle, aged 8, hacked to death with a machete. @emergePF @Aegis_Trust http://t.co/bqXLFcTGdj,
- If you were a #Rwandan woman would you send this card? No choice for the poor in #Rwanda @Winnie_Byanyima @emergePF http://t.co/8MLfUXyIH8,
- Just been to church in #Kigali. Proud #Catholic and #Protestant churches have led healing since #Genocide @emergePF http://t.co/TCucm5mrlo,
- He was given 2 hours to leave or be hacked to death with a machete. Boscos flight from #Burundi http://t.co/CE2gWCIHPs @UNICEF @AlertNet,
- He was given 2 hours to leave or be hacked to death with a machete. Boscos flight from #Burundi http://t.co/CE2gWCIHPs @emergePF @guardian,